I’ve been wanting to do post mount brakes on my frames and forks since day one, but I haven’t taken the plunge on a post mount jig. I just didn’t love the options available for purchase, and they’re a couple hundred dollars each. So I looked up the standard dimensions of post mount brakes, and rummaged around in my stock of metal and found some suitable material. A few hours on the machines, and it was done!
I included all the features I wanted, and it was pretty simple. It does 160 and 180 brake mounts, and it’s pretty burly. I didn’t want it flexing at all while I weld. The spacer is for either frame or fork use, but you unbolt the arm and flip it around for use on a fork. This brings the mounts 3mm further out, which is how they work. I thought drawing it up would be confusing, but once I just sat down and did it, it was one of the more simple jigs I’ve built.
I’ve also come up with a system for post mounts that I’m very, very excited about. You’ll start seeing it on my custom frames now, but until then, here’s a sneak preview.
I love building tools. Have a great weekend!