Frame jig

I haven’t posted in a while because for the last 6 weeks I was working on a pretty huge project. I decided to build a real frame jig. I built my first few bikes with the 80/20 beam style jig, and it did great for how little work it was and how much it cost. However, I really wanted something that was easier to set up and that I could do at least more than 50% of the welding inside the fixture. I spent a couple months drawing up different designs that I liked, and didn’t like, for various reasons. The jig I ended up designing and building was kind of a cross between an Arctos and an Anvil. Maybe I’ll call it the Arcvil.

It was a huge commitment to go in on this project, but I was pretty confident I could finish it. Luckily, I was right. I finished the jig a couple weeks ago and have already built my first bike in it. It’s downright dreamy.

I didn’t get many pictures of the actual building of it, but I’ll share a few here.

I started with a lot of rough cutting of all the MIC-6 tooling plate. I didn’t get pictures of it, but most of the long rough cuts were done on my boss’s table saw. Then I was able to cut those long pieces down with my bandsaw.

I clamped the long pieces down to the Bridgeport table in just the right spot so that I could take one continuous cut from one end to the other without stopping. Turns out a Bridgeport can take a cut that is 25″ long, as I learned on this day. I wanted both sides to be parallel and straight so that I could reference them.

Getting ready to cut the T-slots and 1/4″ slots for the guide rails.

T-slot in the center is done, and cutting the guide rail slots.


Different piece, but this is a guide rail being drilled and countersunk.

Just drilling holes.

A lot of my days ended looking like this. That pile is like 6″ high.

Done! The white walls in my shop make for horrible photos.


Like I said, not many pictures. Up next, the bench mount.

Leave a Reply